Scientists watch drops of pitch form – and there have been eight in 75 years
- Experiment began in 1927 to prove pitch is a liquid
- In 75 years, just EIGHT drops have fallen
- The rate is slowing, and last drop fell 12 years ago
- Current custodian has watched since 60s – but has missed all five drops that have fallen
- Drop ‘could’ fall this year, but 2013 ‘is a better bet’
By ROB WAUGH
It’s the world’s longest-running experiment – and the very, very patient scientists in charge are waiting for a single drop of pitch to fall, 12 YEARS after the last one fell.
The ‘pitch drop’ experiment began in 1927 and was designed to show that solid-looking pitch was, in fact, a liquid.
The experiment has been running now for 85 years and it is estimated that it will last for another century…..
Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk